510-512 Yates Street, at Wharf Street, was built in 1898 by architect Francis Rattenbury for James S. Yates, who also owned the building at 1244 Wharf Street, on the opposite side of the Wharf Street/ Yates Street intersection.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Waddington Alley intersects
522-524 Yates Street – the Leiser Building
It was converted to condominiums in 2011.
534 Yates Street – The Earle Building
550-554 Yates Street was originally built in 1883 as the Oriental Hotel. The western half of the building was added in 1888. Both the 1883 original building and the 1888 addition were designed by architect John Teague.
It is now divided into 35 condominiums.
560-562 Yates Street was built circa 1882 by Captain Thomas Pritchard, who used it as an investment property. By 1898 the building was occupied by F. Stewart, a grocer and Klondike provisioner.
1301 Government Street / 604-606 Yates Street
This building at 1301 Government Street and 604-606 Yates Street is now a Starbucks.
It was built in 1946 by architects David C. Frame and Douglas James for the Imperial Bank of Canada, which used it as its downtown Victoria main branch, replacing an earlier Imperial Bank of Canada building which had stood on this site since the 1890’s.
608-610 Yates Street
632 Yates Street
640-642 Yates Street
Bank of Montreal – 1225 Douglas Street
This building on the south east corner of Yates Street and Douglas Street was built in 1919 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the Merchants Bank of Canada. It has been a main downtown branch of the Bank of Montreal since the Merchants Bank was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in 1921.
709-715 Yates Street
Built in 1909 for the Victoria Building Company, this 3 storey building was originally operated as the Portland Hotel.
It is currently commercial space on the street level with apartments on the upper floors.
Odeon Theatre – 780 Yates Street
865 Yates Street / 1250 Quadra Street
865 Yares Street / 1250 Quadra Street was built in 1926 by architect Ralph Berrill for the Begg Motor Company, a Chevolet dealer, which used it as its offices and showroom. At that time the 800, 900 and 1000 blocks of Yates Street featured many of Victoria’s car dealerships.
It is now an office building with commercial and retail space on the main floor.