Downtown Victoria Tour
Courtney Street Sightseeing Guide
Courtney Street runs east-west from Quadra Street at Christchurch Cathedral on the east to Wharf Street and the Inner Harbour on the west.
Here is a map showing the location of Courtney Street, starting from 602 Courtney Street, near the west end of Courtney Street at the intersection of Government Street, and moving east toward Christ Church Cathedral at Quadra Street:
809-817 Government Street / 605 Courtney Street
Built in 1903 for Joseph and Louis Rostein by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins. Later renamed the Metropolitan Building.
This building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Metropolitan Building.
901-905 Government Street was built in 1858 as Victoria’s first hotel.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Victoria Hotel.
Built in 1913 by hotelier Stephen Jones as an addition to 901-905 Government Street, this building is still legally consolidated with 901-905 Government Street.
Both buildings are listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
625 Courtney Street was built in 1911 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for Thomas Cusack, who used it for his printing business.
The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Cusack Printing Office.
912 Douglas Street – Rexall Drugs
912 Douglas Street, at the corner of Douglas Street and Courtney Street, was built in 1953 by architect John Di Castri for Ballantyne’s Florists.
It was originally divided into four separate retail spaces but was renovated in 2010 into one single retail space. It has been occupied by Rexall Drugs since 2011.
This building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places which considers it a notable example of mid 20th century commercial architecture.
Strathcona Hotel, 919 Douglas Street at Courtney Street
The Strathcona Hotel, at the intersection of Douglas Street and Courtney Street, was built in 1911 by architect Henry S. Griffith as an office building to be known as the Empress Block. During construction the plans were changed to make it into a hotel. It opened as the Strathcona Hotel and has been operated under that name since 1912.
The Strathcona Hotel is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
716 Courtney Street was built in 1910-1911 by architect David Cowper Frame for the Alexandra Ladies Club.
The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places under the name Alexandra Ladies Club.
Designed by architect J.C.M. Keith, Christ Church Cathedral is the the headquarters of the Anglican Diocese of British Columbia.
Christ Church Cathedral is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]