Herald Street – A Sightseeing Overview and Guide
Store Street intersects
Hart’s Block, 529-539 Herald Street
Hart’s Block was built in 1891 by Micheal Hart, who used it as a carriage factory and repair shop. Micheal Hart also built 532-536 Fisgard Street, one block directly south. The two buildings are now connected via Blood Alley, a pedestrian walkway between Herald Street and Fisgard Street.
532 Herald Street – the Biggerstaff
Built circa 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins as a warehouse for Wilson Brothers Wholesale Grocers. One of the principal shareholders in Wilson Brothers was Richard Biggerstaff Wilson, who also built the adjacent building at 536 Herald Street.
This building is now an apartment building called The Biggerstaff, named for Richard Biggerstaff Wilson.
It is now a mixed us building with commercial space on the main floor and apartments on the second floor.
542-556 Herald Street – the Herald Building
542-556 Herald Street was built in 1913 for Lim Bang and Wong Jan Way, who rented space to commercial tenants on the main floor while using the upper floors as a tenement.
In 1983, the Herald Building be came one of the first existing buildings in this area to be renovated into mixed use retail and residential space as this neighbourhood changed from a warehouse and light industrial district to the current retail, entertainment and residential neighbourhood.
Government Street intersects
Government Street – 1800 block | Government Street – 1700 block
Herald Street – 600 block
658-666 Herald Street – the Hook Sin Tong Charity
This building was built in 1911 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for the Hook Sin Tong Charity, which still owns the building.
It has always featured commercial space on the main floor, residential and office space on the second floor and the Hook Sin Tong Charity offices and meeting rooms on the third floor.
Douglas Street intersects
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?