This building at 1005-1009 Broad Street and 636 Broughton Street – at the corner of Broad Street and Broughton Street – was built in 1884 by architect Thomas Trounce for John Weiler, who used it as a warehouse, showroom and manufacturing facility for his furniture business.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1994.
631-635 Yates Street
630 Yates Street – Legacy Art Gallery
630 Yates Street was built in 1950 by architect William F. Gardiner (1884-1951) for the Bank of Toronto, which used it as its main downtown Victoria branch office. The Bank of Toronto logo is still visible above the main door.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2008.
This building is currently the Legacy Art Gallery, operated by the University of Victoria, which uses the building as an art gallery as well as renting it out for special events.
632 Yates Street
1314-1322 Broad Street – Duck’s Building
The Duck’s Building was built in 1892 by architect William Tuff Whiteway for Simeon Duck (1843-1905) who used the main floor for his carriage making business while renting out space on the upper floors. This building is on City of Victoria Heritage Register and is an excellent example of a late 19th century downtown Victoria commercial building.
The Duck’s Building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.
642 Johnson Street – Carlton Plaza Hotel
642 Johnson Street, at the intersection of Broad Street and Johnson Street, is now the Carlton Plaza Hotel.
This commercial building at 618-624 Johnson Street and 1400-1402 Broad Street was built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow, three prominent real estate investors from Victoria’s Chinese community.
The main occupant is Island Collateral & Sales, Victoria’s oldest pawnshop, which has been in this building since 1970.
This building was built in 1906 by John Meston for his carriage repair and blacksmithing business. John Meston’s Carriage Factory had been on this site since 1889 and this building replaced an earlier structure used by Meston’s Carriage Factory.
The building is now used for parking. It is listed on the City of Victoria Heritage Register.
1420 Broad Street – CIVI
This building at 1420 Broad Street was built in 1907 by architect Francis Rattenbury as an office and warehouse for the Brackman-Ker Milling Company.
It is currently a broadcasting facility owned by Rogers Communications, which houses Victoria’s CTV affiliate, CIVI, and radio stations KOOL-FM (107.3 FM) and C-FAX 1070 (1070 AM).
The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Broad Street terminates to the north at Pandora Avenue facing the Victoria City Hall Annex.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?