Downtown Victoria Tour

Johnson Street – 600 Block

This commercial building at 618-624 Johnson Street and 1400-1402 Broad Street was built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow, three prominent real estate investors from Victoria’s Chinese community.

The main occupant is Island Collateral & Sales, Victoria’s oldest pawnshop, which has been in this building since 1970.

618-624 Johnson Street/1400-1402 Broad Street, built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of 618-624 Johnson Street / 1400-1402 Broad Street:

Additional Information About 618-624 Johnson Street/1400-1402 Broad Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,475,000; Land $1,001,000 Buildings $474,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,395,000; Land $863,000 Buildings $532,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,391,000; Land $816,000 Buildings $575,000

A Brief History of 618-624 Johnson Street/1400-1402 Broad Street

This commercial building at 618-624 Johnson Street and 1400-1402 Broad Street was built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow, three prominent real estate investors from Victoria’s Chinese community.

Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins were favoured architects among Victoria’s late 19th and early 20th century Chinese community. They received several other commissions from the Lee’s, including the Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street, 557-561 Fisgard Street and the Lee’s Benevolent Association Building, 612-614 Fisgard Street.

This building has always been a commercial building, with retail stores on the main level and office space on the upper floor.

The main occupant is Island Collateral & Sales, Victoria’s oldest pawnshop, which has been in this building since 1970.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?