Bastion Square – Sightseeing Guide
Bastion Square was part of 19th century Victoria’s leading commercial district and contains many historic 19th buildings, several of which are on the City of Victoria Heritage Building Registry and the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
18-26 Bastion Square – Burnes House
This building was built in 1888 by architect John Teague for Thomas Burnes, who ran it as a hotel called Burnes House. In late 19th century Victoria, Burnes House was considered a luxury hotel.
It is now offices.
28-30 Bastion Square – B.C. Provincial Courthouse
Built in 1889 by architect Hermann O. Tiedemann as the B.C. Provincial Courthouse, which occupied the building until 1962.
Until recently this building housed the Maritime Museum of B.C.
It has been an office building ever since.
At that time the BC Provincial Court was located at 28 Bastion Square.
The Law Chambers is now offices and retail stores.
This landmark building at the Government Street entrance to Bastion Square was built in 1897 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the Bank of Montreal, which used it as a downtown Victoria bank branch until the 1980’s.
It is now occupied by the Irish Times Pub.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?