1200 Government Street is now the Irish Times Pub.

The building was originally built in 1897 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the Bank of Montreal, which used this building as a downtown branch until the early 1980’s.

This building was placed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.

1200 Government Street, built in 1897 for the Bank of Montreal by architect Francis Rattenbury.

1200 Government Street, built in 1897 for the Bank of Montreal by architect Francis Rattenbury.

Additional Information About 1200 Government Street

This building is legally consolidated with 50-56 Bastion Square.

  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,798,000; Land $2.434,000 Buildings $2,364,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,784,000; Land $2.396,000 Buildings $2,388,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 1975

A Brief History of 1200 Government Street

Here are links to some historic photos of this building:

This building was originally built in 1897 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the Bank of Montreal, which used this building as a downtown branch until the early 1980’s.

The first Bank of Montreal branch manager at 1200 Government Street was Archibald C. Galletly, who lived at the Bank of Montreal manager’s residence at 1715 Rockland Avenue. In 1905 Archibald C. Galletly retained architect Francis Rattenbury, who also designed 1200 Government Street in 1897, to design and build a house at 1737 Rockland Avenue for Archibald Galletly’s sister, who was acting as A.C. Galletly’s housekeeper following the drowning deaths of Galletly’s wife and daughter. As it turned out, Archibald C. Galletly rented 1737 Rockland Avenue to Robert and Jennie Butchart, who lived there until about 1908, when they moved permanently to what is now Butchart Gardens.

1715 Rockland Avenue, designed for the Bank of Montreal in 1893 by John C.M. Keith and Cecil Evers.

1715 Rockland Avenue, designed for the Bank of Montreal in 1893 by John C.M. Keith and Cecil Evers.

1737 Rockland Avenue, designed by architect Francis Rattenbury in 1902 for Archibald Galletly

1737 Rockland Avenue, designed by architect Francis Rattenbury in 1902 for Archibald Galletly

The Bank of Montreal used 1200 Government Street as a downtown bank branch until the early 1980’s, when it closed this branch as part of a branch consolidation and moved all its downtown Victoria branch operations to its downtown main branch at 1225 Douglas Street.

In 1975, this building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

After the Bank of Montreal moved out, this building was converted to retail use and was occupied by various stores.

It is currently the Irish Times Pub.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?