Downtown Victoria Tour

Fort Street Sightseeing Guide

Fort Street runs west to east from Wharf Street in the west to Cadboro Bay Road and Foul Bay Road on the east.

It was named because it originally started at Fort Victoria (see Fort Victoria National Historic Site of Canada)

Here is a map showing the location of Fort Street in downtown Victoria:

Here are some sights that are worth seeing on Fort Street:

Wharf Street intersects – Fort Street – 500 Block

500 Fort Street, built in 1863 by architect Richard Lewis for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

500 Fort Street, built in 1863 by architect Richard Lewis for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

500 Fort Street – The Keg

This historic building was built in 1863 by architect Richard Lewis for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Odd Fellows Hall.

It is now The Keg restaurant.

Read More…

1019 Wharf Street (at Fort Street) 

Built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Pither & Leiser Ltd., a liquor, wine and beer importer and wholesaler.

Read More…

1019 Wharf Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Pither & Leiser, a liquor and wine wholesaler and importer.

1019 Wharf Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Pither & Leiser, a liquor and wine wholesaler and importer.

506-508 Fort Street, built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Pacific Transfer Company (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

506-508 Fort Street, built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Pacific Transfer Company (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

506-508 Fort Street – Pacific Transfer Building

506-508 Fort Street was built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Pacific Transfer Company.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Pacific Transfer Building.

Read More…

510 Fort Street (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

510 Fort Street (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

510 Fort Street

Read More…

The Ker Block, 512-514 Fort Street. Designed by architect Francis Rattenbury in 1909 for David Russel Ker (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The Ker Block, 512-514 Fort Street. Designed by architect Francis Rattenbury in 1909 for David Russell Ker (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

512-514 Fort Street – the Ker Block

The Ker Block, 512-514 Fort Street, was designed by architect Francis Rattenbury in 1909 for David Russell Ker.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Ker Block.

Read More…

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street was built in 1906 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the B.C. Electric Railway Company, which used it as offices and a retail store.

The building is still offices with retail stores on the street level.

Read More…

Langley Street intersects

519-525 Fort Street – Temple Building

The Temple Building was built in 1893 by architect Samuel Maclure as an office for Robert Ward & Co., a real estate and insurance firm.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Read More…

The Temple Building, 525 Fort Street. Designed by architect samuel Maclure in 1893 for Robert Ward & Co. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The Temple Building, 525 Fort Street. Designed by architect Samuel Maclure in 1893 for Robert Ward & Co. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

1022 Government Street (at Fort Street)

1022 Government Street, at Fort Street, was built in 1885 by architect Warren Heywood Williams for the Bank of British Columbia, which used it as its Victoria main branch.

Warren Heywood Williams also designed Craigdarroch Castle, one of Victoria’s best known landmarks.

Read More…

1022 Government Street, built in 1885 for the Bank of British Columbia by Portland, Oregon architect Warren H. Williams, who also designed Craigdarroch Castle.

1022 Government Street, built in 1885 for the Bank of British Columbia by Portland, Oregon architect Warren H. Williams, who also designed Craigdarroch Castle.

The Southgate-Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, built circa 1869 for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles

The Southgate-Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, built circa 1869 for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles

530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street

530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Victoria. It was built circa 1869 for James J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Southgate-Laschelles Building. The architect who designed it is believed to be Richard Lewis.

Read More…

Fort Street – 500 Block continues west
Government Street intersects
Fort Street – 600 Block continues east
The Bay Centre, seen from Fort Street and Government Street

The Bay Centre, seen from Fort Street and Government Street

The Bay Centre – 1125 Government Street (at Fort Street)

The Bay Centre is downtown Victoria largest indoor shopping mall.

It was originally built in 1989 as the Eaton Centre.

Read More…

Broad Street – 1000 Block intersects

655-671 Fort Street / 1011 Broad Street – Fell Building

655-671 Fort Street / 1011 Broad Street was built in 1879 for James Fell, who used for his grocery business, Fell & Co.

It is now offices on the second floor and retail space on the main floor.

Read More…

The Fell Building, <a href=

1060 Douglas Street (at Fort Street) – the Bentall Building

1060 Douglas Street was built in 1963-1964 and still retains its original name, the Bentall Building.

The Bentall Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Read More…

The Bentall Building, 1060 Douglas Street, built in 1963-1964. Listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

The Bentall Building, 1060 Douglas Street, built in 1963-1964. Listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

The Bay Centre, Douglas Street frontage as seen from Fort Street

The Bay Centre, Douglas Street frontage as seen from Fort Street

The Bay Center – 1150 Douglas Street (between Fort Street and View Street)

The Bay Centre is downtown Victoria largest indoor shopping mall.

It was originally built in 1989 as the Eaton Centre.

Read More…

Fort Street – 600 Block continues west
Douglas Street intersects
Fort Street – 700 Block continues east
706-714 Fort Street, the Ritz Hotel. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

706-714 Fort Street, the Ritz Hotel. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

706-714 Fort Street – Ritz Hotel

Built in 1911, this building has always been a hotel with retail space on the main floor.

It has been operating for decades as the Ritz Hotel.

Read More…

The Dutch Bakery & Diner, 718 Fort Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The Dutch Bakery & Diner, 718 Fort Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

718 Fort Street – Dutch Bakery & Diner

718 Fort Street has been the location of the Dutch Bakery since 1956.

Read More…

728-730 Fort Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

728-730 Fort Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

732 Fort Street (left) and 738 Fort Street (right) (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

732 Fort Street (left) and 738 Fort Street (right) (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

737 Fort Street – British North American Trust Company Building

737 Fort Street was built in 1912 by architect Alfred Arthur Cox as an office for the British North American Trust Company.

737 Fort Street is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the British North American Trust Company Building.

Read More…

731 Fort Street (right) and 737 Fort Street (left) Fort Street (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

731 Fort Street (right) and 737 Fort Street (left) Fort Street (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

732 Fort Street (left) and 738 Fort Street (right) (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

732 Fort Street (left) and 738 Fort Street (right) (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

738-742 Fort Street

738-742 Fort Street was built in 1910 as a warehouse for the Colbert Plumbing & Heating Company.

For most of its history it has been occupied by retail stores, as it is now. The current occupants are Russell Books and the B.C. Shaver Shop.

Read More…

754 Fort Street, the Milne Building. Built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

754 Fort Street, the Milne Building. Built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

754 Fort Street – Milne Building

754 Fort Street was built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne.

It has always been an office building with commercial space on the main floor.

Read More…

762-764 Fort Street, built in 1910-1911 (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

762-764 Fort Street, built in 1910-1911 (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

762-764 Fort Street

762-764 Fort Street was built in 1910-1911 and still retains its original configuration as two storefronts.

Read More…

Fort Street – 700 Block continues west
Blanshard Street intersects
Fort Street – 800 Block continues east
Fort Street – 800 Block continues west
Quadra Street intersects
Fort Street – 900 Block continues east

905 Fort Street – Island Blue Print

905 Fort Street is now Island Blue Print but it was originally built in 1925 for the Pantorium Dye Company, later known simply as the Pantorium, which operated a cleaning business here.

The original Pantorium sign is still visible on the front of the building.

It is now occupied by Island Blue Print.

Read More…

905 Fort Street, built in 1925, is now occupied by Island Blue Print (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

905 Fort Street, built in 1925, is now occupied by Island Blue Print (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

919 Fort Street – Catterall Building

919 Fort Street was built in 1912 by contractor Thomas Catterall, who used it as a revenue property.

It is now best known as the location of the Blue Fox Cafe.

Read More…

The Cattterall Building, 919 Fort Street, Victoria, B.C. Built in 1912 by Thomas Catterall. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The Cattterall Building, 919 Fort Street, Victoria, B.C. Built in 1912 by Thomas Catterall. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Fort Street – 900 Block continues west

Vancouver Street intersects

Fort Street – 1000 Block continues east

1061 Fort Street – Mosaic Building

1061 Fort Street was built in 1963 by architect John Di Castri for the Royal Trust Company, which used it as an office building.

It has since been renovated into condominiums.

Read More…

The Mosaic Building, 1061 Fort Street. Built in 1963 for the Royal Trust Company by architect John Di Castri.

The Mosaic Building, 1061 Fort Street. Built in 1963 for the Royal Trust Company by architect John Di Castri.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?