Downtown Victoria Tour
Fort Street – 700 Block

754 Fort Street – Milne Building

754 Fort Street was built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne. It is still known as the Milne Building and still retains its original configuration of commercial space on the street level with offices on the upper floors.

754 Fort Street, the Milne Building. Built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

754 Fort Street, the Milne Building. Built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of 754 Fort Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 754 Fort Street:

Additional Information About 754 Fort Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $8.499,000; Land $2,029,000; Buildings $6,470,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $8.101,000; Land $1,929,000; Buildings $6,172,000

 

A Brief History of 754 Fort Street

754 Fort Street was built in 1911-1912 as an investment property for Dr. George Lawson Milne.

The original building permit, issued by the City of Victoria to “Dr. G.R. Milne” [note: the City may have confused his middle initial with that of his late brother, Alexander Roland Milne, who had built the Milne Building at 546-548 Johnson Street] in June 1911, describes a “new brick building, 3 storey, 64 rooms. Purpose: stores and offices” with an estimated construction cost of $25,000.

It is still known as the Milne Building and still retains its original configuration of commercial space on the street level with offices on the upper floors.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?