Downtown Victoria Tour
Broughton Street – Sightseeing Guide
Wharf Street intersects
Broughton Street runs east-west for seven block between Wharf Street on Victoria’s Inner Harbour on the west and Quadra Street, at Pioneer Sqare, on the east.
Here are some notable sights to see along Broughton Street:
It is notable for the arched windows and the exterior brick work.
The Vernon Block is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
602 Broughton Street / 1001-1005 Government Street – the Hamley Building
The Hamley Building was built in 1885. It was originally designed as a three storey building. The fourth floor was added in 1912.
The Hamley Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
604 Broughton Street – Bridgman Building
Originally built in 1885 for Charles E. Redfern, a former Mayor of Victoria. The present facade was designed in 1910 by architects Percy Leonard James and Douglas James for A.W. Bridgman, for whom the building is named.
This historic building at 1005-1009 Broad Street and 636 Broughton Street was built in 1884 by architect Thomas Trounce for John Weiler, who used it as a warehouse, showroom and manufacturing facility for his furniture business. Substantial additions were made to the original building in 1891.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1994.
This building was built in 1920 by architect Percy Fox for Otto Weiler, a leading member of the Weiler family which also built the adjacent building at 636 Broughton Street/1005-1009 Broad Street and the Weiler Brothers Building at 921 Government Street / 609 Broughton Street, two blocks west on Broughton Street.
This landmark church at the south west corner of the Broughton Street / Douglas Street intersection was designed by architect Leonard Butress Trimen. Construction was completed in 1890.
805 Broughton Street – Royal Theatre
The Royal Theatre is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places and has been designated a National Historic Site of Canada. It is still operated as a live theatre venue by the Royal & McPherson Theatres Society.
Pioneer Square – Broughton Street at Quadra Street
Pioneer Square is now a City of Victoria park but between 1855 and 1873 it was Victoria’s main cemetery.
Although most of the grave markers were removed in the early 20th century (they are in storage), many of the original grave markers are still in Pioneer Square.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?