Government Street – 900 Block
921 Government Street / 609 Broughton Street – the Weiler Building
It is now retail space on the main floor with office space on the upper floors.
Here is a map showing the location of the Weiler Building, 921 Government Street / 609 Broughton Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 921 Government Street:
Additional Information About the Weiler Building, 921 Government Street / 609 Broughton Street
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $15,078,000; Land $7,223,000, Buildings $7,855,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $13,505,000; Land $5,226,000, Buildings $8,279,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $12,602,000; Land $3,900,000, Buildings $8,702,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $11,159,000; Land $2,415,000, Buildings $8,744,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $10,959,000; Land $2,563,000, Buildings $8,396,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
- BC Archives photo of the Weiler Building, circa 1900
- BC Archives photo – Weiler Brothers truck, circa 1912
A Brief History of the Weiler Building, 921 Government Street / 609 Broughton Street
The Weiler Building was built in 1899 by architect Thomas Sorby for the Weiler brothers, who used it as Weiler Brothers Ltd., one of Victoria’s first department stores.
It was used as a department store until the late 1940’s.
In the 1950’s this building was converted to offices on the upper floors with retail and commercial space on the main floor. It still retains that configuration.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 921 Government Street:
1919 Advertisement For Columbia Records at Weiler Brothers, 921 Government Street
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.