Historic Victoria Advertisements
As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements we have included this page on advertisements from long running, but now defunct, businesses of the past which have had an influence on Victoria’s history or which we think might be of interest to anyone researching Victoria history.
Here are the advertisements we have included on this page so far. We will be adding more in future.
1879 Advertisement For Goodacre & Dooley, Butchers – Government Street and Johnson Street
Goodacre Butchers operated for decades in what is now 1325-1327 Government Street.
Its proprietor, Lawrence Goodacre, also served on Victoria City Council and played a large role in developing Beacon Hill Park, where Goodacre Lake is named for him.
1908 Advertisement for Angus Campbell & Co., The Ladies Store, 1010 Government Street
Angus Campbell & Co. was a women’s clothing business formed in Victoria in 1901. It operated from the Promis Block, 1010 Government Street between 1908 and the 1930’s.
Advertisements from Angus Campbell & Co. give an interesting overview of Women’s Clothing of that era.
1909 Advertisement For E.B. Marvin & Co., Ship Chandlers
E.B. Marvin & Co., Ship Chandlers, was a significant business in downtown Victoria in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Its business location is still standing at 1202 Wharf Street.
1910 Advertisement For The Brackman-Ker Milling Company, 1420 Broad Street
The Brackman-Ker Milling Company was one of Victoria’s leading businesses in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
This advertisement depict the Brackman-Ker Milling Company’s mill (now demolished) at what was then called the Outer Wharf but what is now referred to as Ogden Point, where cruise ships dock when visiting Victoria.
The Brackman-Ker Milling Company is connected with the following buildings in downtown Victoria:
- 1407 Government Street, built in 1888
- 1420 Broad Street, built in 1907
- 512-514 Fort Street, built in 1909
1910 Advertisement For Smith & Champion, 1420 Douglas Street
Smith & Champion was a retail furniture and hardware business which built 1420 Douglas Street as its business premises.
1913 Advertisement For R.P. Rithet & Co., 1117-1125 Wharf Street
R.P. Rithet & Co. was involved in insurance, warehousing and wholesale liquor and grocery distribution.
This 1913 advertisement for Budweiser beer shows R.P. Rithet & Co. as Victoria distributor for Budweiser.
R.P. Rithet & Co. operated from the Rithet Building, 1117-1125 Wharf Street.
The Begg Motor Company opened in Victoria in 1926 at 937 View Street.
In 1926 the Begg Motor Company retained architect Ralph Berrill to design and build a new showroom at 865 Yates Street / 1250 Quadra Street.
This 1926 building Ralph Berrill designed for the Begg Motor Company is still standing and is a downtown Victoria landmark.
1937 Advertisement For Heaney’s 1225-1229 Wharf Street
Heaney’s was a moving and storage company which was located at 1225-1229 Wharf Street for several decades.
This advertisement is indicative of how Wharf Street has changed from the light industrial district it was in the 1930’s to the retail and entertainment district it is today.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]