Douglas Street – 1400 Block
1416-1420 Douglas Street
1416-1420 Douglas Street was built in 1911 for Smith & Champion, a hardware dealer which used this building as its retail hardware store.
Throughout its history this building has always been a retail store. It is currently the Dollar Tree.
Here is a map showing the location of 1416-1420 Douglas Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1416-1420 Douglas Street:
Additional Information About 1416-1420 Douglas Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $2,916,000; Land $2,308,000; Buildings $608,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,081,300; Land $2,059,000; Buildings $23,300
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,946,000; Land $1,716,000; Buildings $230,000
A Brief History of 1416-1420 Douglas Street
1416-1420 Douglas Street was built in 1911 as a warehouse for Smith & Champion, a hardware dealer which had operated in a previous building on this site. The original building permit, issued to Smith & Champion by the City of Victoria in April 1911, describes a “new brick building, 3 storey. Purpose: storage” with an estimated construction cost of $10,000.
Although the building was apparently intended to be a warehouse, Smith & Champion used it as a retail store. It has been retail stores throughout its history.
The building facade was altered to its present appearance in the early 1960’s. Here is a photo of the building in 1959, prior to the current facade being installed, and here is a photo from 1966 showing the current facade in place.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 1416-1420 Douglas Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M06882 – circa 1955, showing 1410 Douglas Street
- City of Victoria Archives photo M03676 – 1959, showing 1410 Douglas Street and 1416-1420 Douglas Street
- City of Victoria Archives photo M03677 – 1966
Here are links to some Historic Advertisements by businesses located in 1416-1420 Douglas Street:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.