Downtown Victoria Tour

Government Street – 1000 Block

1006-1010 Government Street – the Promis Block

 

The Promis Block at 1006-1010 Government Street was built in 1905 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Oscar Promis and the Promis Estate Company of San Jose, California.

The Promis Block was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975 and listed in 2005.

The Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street, built in 1905 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Oscar Promis of the Promis Estate Company, San Jose, California (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Here’s a map showing the location of the Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street.

 

The Promis Block also features frontage at 1007-1011 Langley Street, one block to the west, currently occupied by Kilshaw’s Auctioneers.

The Langley Street facade of the Promis Block, 1007-1011 Langley Street and 1006-1010 Government Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Additional Information About 1006-1010 Government Street, the Promis Block

A Brief History of the Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street

The Promis Block has always been a commercial building, typically divided between retail stores on the main level and offices on the second floor.

One long term tenant in the first half of the 20th century was Angus Campbell & Co., a women’s clothing store which occupied 1010 Government Street for over two decades.

A 1924 advertisement for Angus Campbell & Co. appears below.

 

1924 advertisement for Angus Campbell & Co., which occupied 1010 Government Street for over two decades. (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?