Government Street – 1000 Block
1006-1010 Government Street – the Promis Block
The Promis Block was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975 and listed in 2005.
Here’s a map showing the location of the Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street.
Here is a Google Street View image of the Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street:
The Promis Block also features frontage at 1007-1011 Langley Street, one block to the west, currently occupied by Kilshaw’s Auctioneers.
Additional Information About 1006-1010 Government Street, the Promis Block
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $6,857,000; Land – $5,424,000, Buildings – $1,437,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $5,587,000; Land – $4,046,000, Buildings – $1,541,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,350,000; Land – $2,771,000, Buildings – $1,,579,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,320,000; Land – $2,691,000, Buildings – $1,629,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1975 and listed in 2005.
- Victoria Hallmark Society
A Brief History of the Promis Block, 1006-1010 Government Street
The Promis Block has always been a commercial building, typically divided between retail stores on the main level and offices on the second floor.
One long term tenant in the first half of the 20th century was Angus Campbell & Co., a women’s clothing store which occupied 1010 Government Street for over two decades.
Here is a 1909 advertisement for Angus Campbell & Co.:
Here is a 1924 advertisement for Angus Campbell & Co.:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?