Downtown Victoria Tour

Fort Street – 500 Block

506 Fort Street

506 Fort Street was built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for Arthur Edward Kent, who used it for his Pacific Transfer Company.

The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Pacific Transfer Building.

506-508 Fort Street, built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Pacific Transfer Company (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

506-508 Fort Street, built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Pacific Transfer Company (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of 506 Fort Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 506 Fort Street:

Additional Information About 506 Fort Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2020): $3,654,000; Land $1,264,000 Buildings $2,390,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $3,660,000; Land $1,094,000 Buildings $2,566,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,858,000; Land $1,023,000 Buildings $1,835,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,448,000; Land $981,000 Buildings $1,467,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,806,000; Land $966,000 Buildings $840,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,200,000; Land $833,000 Buildings $367,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of 506 Fort Street

506 Fort Street was built in 1902 by architect J.C.M. Keith for Arthur Edward Kent, who used it for his Pacific Transfer Company. It was originally a two storey building with a third storey added later, circa 1920.

The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Pacific Transfer Building.

By 1918 the building was occupied by the Victoria Baggage Company, which used it as its office and warehouse. In 1921 the Victoria Baggage Company built the adjacent building at 510 Fort Street, which it then moved into.

Here are links to some historic photographs:

Here are some other downtown Victoria buildings designed by architect J.C.M. Keith:

Canoe Brew Pub and Restaurant, 450 Swift Street. The building was built in 1894 as the power generating station for the City of Victoria's street lights.

Canoe Brew Pub and Restaurant, 450 Swift Street. The building was built in 1894 as the power generating station for the City of Victoria’s street lights.

450 Swift Street

450 Swift Street is now a restaurant but it was originally designed by architect J.C.M. Keith as a power generating station for the City of Victoria.

Read More…

Christ Church Cathedral, south elevation, as seen from Burdett Street

Christ Church Cathedral, south elevation, as seen from Burdett Street

Christ Church Cathedral

Christ Church Cathedral was designed by architect J.C.M. Keith for the Anglican Diocese of British Columbia.

Read More…

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?