Swift Street – 400 Block / Store Street – 1700 Block
450 Swift Street
450 Swift Street is now the Canoe Brewpub Marina & Restaurant but the building was originally built in 1894 by architect John Charles Malcolm Keith for the City of Victoria, which used it as the power generating station for the City’s street lighting.
Here is a map showing the location of 450 Swift Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 450 Swift Street:
Additional Information About 450 Swift Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $4,939,000; Land $2,788,000 Buildings $2,151,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $4,414,000; Land $2,161,000 Buildings $2,253,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,176,000; Land $1,795,000 Buildings $2,381,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,885,000; Land $1,376,000 Buildings $2,509,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,700,000; Land $1,175,000 Buildings $2,525,000
A Brief History of 450 Swift Street
This building was designed by architect John Charles Malcolm Keith in 1894 for the City of Victoria, which used it as the power generating station for the City’s street lighting system.
The local newspaper reports from the period described it as the new “electric light station, estimated by the architect, Mr. Keith, at [a construction cost of] some $10,000. This [building] contains the machinery for the new electric plant that will give the city an addition of over 100 street lights, the whole sum for [the] building, machinery and line building being provided by a loan [to the City of Victoria through a bond issue] of $55,000.”
From 1940 to 1982 the building was used as a welding shop and a grain and feed warehouse.
Starting in the 1980’s this area gradually changed from a light industrial district to a shopping and residential area. In the early 1990’s 450 Swift Street was affected by this trend as it was converted from a warehouse to its current use as a restaurant, pub and offices.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?