Richard Lewis (died 1 January 1875) was a prominent architect and builder in early Victoria. He also served as Mayor of Victoria in 1872. Many of the early commercial buildings along Wharf Street (now on Victoria’s Heritage Registry) were originally designed by Richard Lewis.
Here are the buildings associated with Richard Lewis which we have included on this site:
- 1117-1125 Wharf Street, the Rithet Building, initial design and construction 1861.
- 1109 Wharf Street, for Philip Backus, Auctioneer, 1861
- 1129 Wharf Street/15 Bastion Square, 1862
- 500 Fort Street, 1862
- 1205-1213 Wharf Street/8-10 Bastion Square, for Captain James M. Reid, 1862-63
- 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, the Southgate-Laschelles Building, circa 1869
- 1239-1241 Yates Street (alterations)
Richard Lewis is buried in Ross Bay Cemetery, Victoria, B.C.
Ross Bay Cemetery has suffered repeated bouts of vandalism and Richard Lewis’ grave stone was among the many funeral monuments damaged by vandals. Richard Lewis’ grave stone (see photo below) was repaired as much as possible by the Old Cemeteries Society of Victoria.
As the photo of Richard Lewis’ grave stone below shows, Richard Lewis was a Freemason, a member of Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1 in Victoria.
For more information on Richard Lewis and other early architects in Victoria, we recommend Building The West: Early Architects In British Columbia, edited by Donald Luxton
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?