Downtown Victoria Tour
Wharf Street – 1100 Block
1129 Wharf Street
This building at 1129 Wharf Street and 15 Bastion Square was originally built in 1862. It was originally a single story building and the second floor was added in 1884-1885. This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Since 1972, this building has been occupied by restaurants on the main level and nightclubs on the upper floor.
Here’s a map showing the location of 1129 Wharf Street.
Additional Information About 1129 Wharf Street and 15 Bastion Square
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $2,049,000; Land $1,096,000 Buildings $953,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $2,049,000; Land $994,000 Buildings $1,055,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 1975
A Brief History of 1129 Wharf Street and 15 Bastion Square
This building was built in 1862 by Joseph Johnson Southgate, who owned it between 1862 and 1905.
It was originally a single story building; the second floor was added in 1884-85.
In the 1890’s, this building was occupied by Marvin & Tilton, a farm equipment and hardware dealer. By the early 20th century, it was owned and occupied by Walter S. Fraser & Co., a hardware store, which occupied the building until the early 1930’s. During the late 1930’s and early 1940’s, it was a warehouse, used by wholesalers such as Tees & Persse and the Victoria Health Fruit Juice Company.
Today, this area around Wharf Street and Bastion Square is largely retail stores, restaurants and offices but in the early and mid 20th century it was primarily a warehouse and light industrial district. That was reflected in this building’s use for nearly a quarter century between 1948 and 1972.
In 1948, this building was purchased by a Victoria firm, Wilson & Proctor Ltd., which operated its engine repair and machine shop business here until 1972.
Wilson & Proctor was started in 1946 – in a garage at 860 Tulip Avenue in Saanich – by Howard Wilson and Bob Proctor. It was incorporated as Wilson & Proctor Ltd. in 1947 and the company bought 1129 Wharf Street – or 1125 Wharf Street as it was then – in 1948. Wilson & Proctor Ltd. moved its operations into 1129 Wharf Street and occupied the building until 1972, when it sold this building and moved to its present location at 808 Devonshire Road.
Wilson & Proctor Ltd. is still in business at 808 Devonshire Road in Victoria and kindly provided us with the following photos.
This photo shows 1129 Wharf Street circa 1962. Note that what is now Bastion Square (on the left of the photo) was then Bastion Street, which ran between Wharf Street and Government Street.
The photo below shows 1129 Wharf Street circa 1966, when it owned by Wilson & Proctor Ltd. Note that Bastion Square had just been created – and Bastion Street closed – when this photo was taken.
The photo below was taken on 26 March 1970 and shows the Wilson & Proctor Ltd. staff outside 1129 Wharf Street. Company founders Howard Wilson and Bob Proctor are second and third from the right. Note that the outside stairs which now lead to the second floor of the building were not there in 1970.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Since 1972, this section of Wharf Street and Bastion Square has been transformed from a warehouse and light industrial district into its present incarnation as a restaurant, entertainment and shopping area.
This building at 1129 Wharf Street and 15 Bastion Square reflects that change. Since 1972, it has been occupied by nightclubs and restaurants.
Here are links to some historic photos of 1129 Wharf Street:
- BC Archives photo A-03849 – circa 1865, prior to the second storey being added.
- BC Archives photo C-08965 – circa 1892, occupied by Marvin & Tilton
- BC Archives photo B-02385 – 1129 Wharf Street and the Rithet Building, circa 1955
- BC Archives photo I-03535 – Wharf Street, 1984
- BC Archives photo I-03536 – Wharf Street, 1984
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?