Downtown Victoria Tour

Government Street – 1100 Block

1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street

This two storey brick building at 1102 Government Street/ 530 Fort Street is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Victoria. It was originally built circa 1869 as a single story commercial building for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles and is still referred to by architectural historians as the Southgate-Leschelles Building. It is believed to have been designed by architect Richard Lewis. It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.

This was originally a single storey building. The second floor was added circa 1887.

The Southgate-Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, built circa 1869 for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Here’s a map showing the location of 1102 Government Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street:

The tower at the rear of 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street conceals a microwave tower.

This tower at the rear of 1102 Government Street now contains a cell phone microwave antenna.

Additional Information About 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street:

  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $4,871,000; Land $3,274,100 Buildings $1,596,900
  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,419,900; Land $2,858,900 Buildings $1,561,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,855,700; Land $2,246,600 Buildings $1,609,100
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,617,600; Land $2,029,500 Buildings $1,588,100
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – 1102 Wharf Street was recognized in 1975 and listed in 2010
  • Hallmark Heritage Society

A Brief History of the Southgate & Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street

Here are links to some historic photos of this building and its builders:

This two storey brick building at 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street was built circa 1862 and is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Victoria. It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.

It was originally built circa 1869 as a single story commercial building for Joseph .J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles and is still referred to by architectural historians as the Southgate-Leschelles Building. It is believed to have been designed by architect Richard Lewis.

The second floor was added circa 1887.

Until 1908, this building covered more ground than it does now. In 1908 the north section of the building was demolished to allow construction of 1108 Government Street, now Munro’s Books.

For much of its history, this building was used by the Canadian Pacific Railway, both as a ticket booking and reservation office and as a telegraph, and later a telex, facility.

The building still has a telecommunications use. There is a tower at the rear of the building, bordering Langley Street, which contains a concealed microwave tower.

Here are links to some Historic Victoria Advertisements for businesses which have been in this building over the decades. We will be adding more over time.

1910 advertisement for Victor Records, sold at 1004 Government Street and 1102 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1910 advertisement for Victor Records, sold at 1004 Government Street and 1102 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1910 Advertisement For Victor Records

Sold by Montelius Piano House, 1104 Government Street

1913 advertisement for Edison Blue Amberol Records, sold by Montelius Piano House, 1102 Government Street, and Fletcher Brothers, 1231 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1913 advertisement for Edison Blue Amberol Records, sold by Montelius Piano House, 1102 Government Street, and Fletcher Brothers, 1231 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1913 Advertisements For Edison Blue Amberol Records

Sold by Montelius Piano House, 1104 Government Street

1926 advertisement for the Canadian Pacific Railway and its Victoria ticket office at 1102 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1926 advertisement for the Canadian Pacific Railway and its Victoria ticket office at 1102 Government Street (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1925 and 1926 Advertisements For the Canadian Pacific Railway

The Canadian Pacific Railway maintained downtown Victoria ticket offices at 1102 Government Street and 396-470 Belleville Street.

1102 Government Street was also the site of the Canadian Pacific Railway telegraph, and later telex, offices. There is still a microwave tower behind the building on Langley Street.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?