Downtown Victoria Tour
Fort Street – 500 Block / Government Street – 1100 Block

530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street

This two storey brick building at 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Victoria. It was originally built circa 1869 as a single story commercial building for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles and is still referred to by architectural historians as the Southgate-Leschelles Building. It is believed to have been designed by architect Richard Lewis.

The second floor was added circa 1887.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.

The Southgate-Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, built circa 1869 for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles

The Southgate-Laschelles Building, 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street, built circa 1869 for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles

This building covered more ground than it does now. In 1908 the north section of the building was demolished to allow construction of 1108 Government Street, now Munro’s Books.

Here is a map showing the location of 530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street:


Here is a Google Street View image of 530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street:

 

Additional Information About 530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,419,900; Land $2,858,000; Buildings $1,561,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,855,700; Land $2,246,000; Buildings $1,609,100
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of 1102 Government Street / 530 Yates Street

This two storey brick building at 1102 Government Street / 530 Fort Street is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Victoria. It was originally built circa 1869 as a single story commercial building for J.J. Southgate and H.D. Laschelles and is still referred to by architectural historians as the Southgate-Leschelles Building. It is believed to have been designed by architect Richard Lewis.

The second floor was added circa 1887.

This building covered more ground than it does now. In 1908 the north section of the building was demolished to allow construction of 1108 Government Street, now Munro’s Books.

For much of its history, this building was used by the Canadian Pacific Railway, both as a ticket booking and reservation office and as a telegraph, and later a telex, facility.

The building still has a telecommunications use. There is a tower at the rear of the building, bordering Langley Street, which contains a concealed microwave tower.

Tower at the rear of 1102 Government Street.

Tower at the rear of 1102 Government Street/530 Fort Street.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.

Here are links to some historic photos of 530 Fort Street / 1102 Government Street:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?