Wharf Street – 1100 Block
1109 Wharf Street
1109 Wharf Street was built circa 1861 by Philip Backus, who used it for his auctioneer business. The architect who designed the original building was possibly Richard Lewis.
Here’s a map showing the location of 1109 Wharf Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1109 Government Street:
Here is a photo of 1107 Wharf Street and 1109 Wharf Street in 2005.
A Brief History of 1109 Wharf Street
1109 Wharf Street was built circa 1861 by auctioneer Philip Backus, who used it as his business premises. It is possible that the architect who designed the original building was Richard Lewis.
It was originally a single story building with three large rectangular double doors which opened directly onto Wharf Street. These original doors have been replaced by the two windows on each side of the building and the central doorway entrance.
In 1873, the second floor was added.
Over the years, building occupants have included the Hamilton Powder Company.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 1109 Wharf Street:
- BC Archives photo C-08753 – as Hamilton Powder Company, circa 1900
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.