Downtown Victoria Tour

Douglas Street – 1000 Block

1060 Douglas Street – the Bentall Building

The Bentall Building at 1060 Douglas Street, at the intersection of Douglas Street and Fort Street, was built in 1963-1964 by the Dominion Bridge Company, which used it as an office block.

The Bentall Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places, which considers it “a classic example of an International Style office tower.

The T-D Bank has had a branch on the main floor of the Bentall Building since 1964, when the building first opened.

The Bentall Building, 1060 Douglas Street, built in 1963-1964. Listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Here’s a map showing the location of 1060 Douglas Street.

Additional Information About the Bentall Building

  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – formally recognized and listed in 2008.
  • Assessed Value (2016): $18,019,000; Land: $3,645,000; Buildings: $14,374,000
  • Assessed Value (2015): $15,734,000; Land: $3,142,000; Buildings: $12,592,000

A Brief History of the Bentall Building

The Bentall Building at 1060 Douglas Street, at the intersection of Douglas Street and Fort Street, was built in 1963-1964 by the Dominion Bridge Company, which used it as an office block.

It was designed by the Dominion Bridge Company’s staff architect Frank Musson, who went on to private practice as a partner in the Vancouver firm of Musson Cattell Mackay Partnership.

The Musson Cattell Mackay Partnership designed many landmark Vancouver buildings including Three Bentall Centre, The B.C. Hydro Centre,  Bentall 5, Carmana Plaza,  The George,  The Georgian Towers,  Park Place,  Pender Place,  The VanCity Centre and Waterfront Centre.

The Musson Cattell Mackay Partnership’s Victoria projects include Hillside Mall and 1675 Douglas Street.

Architectural historians suggest Frank Musson’s design for the Bentall Building was influenced by iconic buildings like the Lever House and the Seagram Building in New York City.

Like the Seagram Building the Bentall Building features vertical aluminum I beams which are decorative but also serve as tracks for window washing equipment.

The Bentall Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places, which considers it “a classic example of an International Style office tower.

The T-D Bank has had a branch on the main floor of the Bentall Building since 1964, when the building first opened.

The image below shows a 1964 advertisement for the opening of the then newly built Bentall Building.

1964 advertisement for the then newly constructed Bentall Building (Victoria Online Sightseeing collection)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?