Downtown Victoria Tour

Fort Street – 500 Block / Langley Street – 1000 Block

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street was built in 1906 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the B.C. Electric Railway Company, which used this building as offices and as a retail store selling electric appliances and other electric goods.

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street is still used as offices and retail space.

517 Fort Street/1016 Langley Street

517 Fort Street/1016 Langley Street

Here is a map showing the location of 517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street:

Additional Information on 517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $4,635,000; Land $3,243,000 Buildings $1,392,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $5,181,000; Land $2,643,000 Buildings $2,538,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $4,876,000; Land $2,368,000 Buildings $2,508,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,406,000; Land $2,322,000 Buildings $2,084,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,159,000; Land $2,289,000 Buildings $1,870,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,700,000; Land $1,974,000 Buildings $1,726,000

A Brief History of 517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street

517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street was built in 1906 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the B.C. Electric Railway Company, which operated the streetcar system in Victoria and other B.C. cities, generated electrical power through a series of generating stations, and ran retail stores selling electrical appliances.

The B.C. Electric Railway Company used this building as offices and as a retail store selling electric appliances and other electric goods.

It was originally a two storey building but a third storey was added in 1912-1913, likely to the design of Francis Rattenbury.

Here are links to some historic photos of 517 Fort Street / 1016 Langley Street:

This building is still used as retail and office space.

This building at the corner of Broughton Street and Langley Street was designed in 1909 by architect Francis Rattenbury as offices for the B.C. Land & Investment Company.

This building at 530-534 Broughton Street at Langley Street was designed in 1909 by architect Francis Rattenbury as offices for the B.C. Land & Investment Company.

530-534 Broughton Street

530-534 Broughton Street was designed by architect Francis Rattenbury, who also designed 517 Fort Street.

Read More…

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?