The Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street and 1125 Government Street, is downtown Victoria’s largest indoor shopping mall. It is located over two city blocks bordered by Douglas Street and Government Street on the east and west and View Street and Fort Street on the north and south, respectively. It currently contains over 90 stores, the largest being The Bay, located on five floors at the west end of the building along Government Street.
Additional Information on the Bay Centre
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $115,260,000; Land $32,299,000 Buildings $82,961,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $97,520,000; Land $30,522,000 Buildings $66,998,000
A Brief History of The Bay Centre
The Bay Centre was built in 1988-89 by Cadillac Fairview. It was originally called the Eaton’s Centre, for the Eaton’s department store, which was the anchor store in the facility at the time it first opened.
Following the bankruptcy of Eaton’s, The Bay, which had been located at 1701 Douglas Street since 1920, closed its downtown store at 1701 Douglas Street and moved into the former Eaton’s store in this mall. The Eaton Centre was renamed The Bay Centre after The Bay moved its downtown Victoria store to this location.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.