Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 1700 Block
1701 Douglas Street – The Hudson & Victoria Public Market
1701 Douglas Street is now a mixed use building known as The Hudson, with condominiums on the upper floors and commercial space on the main level. It was originally built between 1914 and 1921 by the Hudson’s Bay Company, which opened it as its Victoria department store in 1922.
1701 Douglas was originally built between 1914 and 1921 and was formally opened as the Hudson’s Bay Company department store in 1922. It was operated as a department store by the Hudson’s Bay Company until 2003, when the Hudson’s Bay Company moved its downtown Victoria operations to the former Eaton Centre, now The Bay Centre.
Here is a map showing the location of The Hudson and the Victoria Public Market:
Additional Information About 1701 Douglas Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $13,794,000; Land $9.824,000; Buildings $3,970,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $12,349,000; Land $8,282,000; Buildings $4,067,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Short History of 1701 Douglas Street
1701 Douglas Street was designed by the prominent Toronto architectural firm of Burke, Horwood & White [Edmund Burke (1850-1919), John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938) and Murray Alexander White (1870-1935)] as a department store for the Hudson’s Bay Company. It was built between 1914 and 1921 by the Hudson’s Bay Company as its downtown Victoria department store.
Construction was halted in 1914 for two reasons: a worldwide recession which had started in 1913 and a skilled labour shortage due to World War One, which started in August 1914. Construction was resumed after the war ended in November 1918 and this building was completed in 1921. It was formally opened in 1922.
Although the Hudson’s Bay Company used a similar architectural design for the early 20th century department stores it built in cities across Canada, we think the design of 1701 Douglas Street is based on the Selfridges department store, built in 1909 on Oxford Street in London.
The Selfridges store on London’s Oxford Street is shown in the photo below. The similarities between the Selfridges design and the design of 1701 Douglas Street are readily apparent.
In 1948-49 a significant addition, designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Moore & Moody [Herbert H.G. Moody (1903-1991) and Robert E. Moore ], was built on the rear of the building (the eastern side).
Here are some photos showing the renovation of the Hudson’s Bay Company department store into The Hudson:
1701 Douglas Street in 2005, prior to The Hudson renovation.
1701 Douglas Street, formerly the Hudson’s Bay Company department store, under renovation into The Hudson in 2008.
1701 Douglas Street, formerly The Bay department store, being renovated into The Hudson in 2008. This photo is looking west from Blanshard Street toward Douglas Street.
1701 Douglas Street in 2010, during renovation into The Hudson.
The Hudson, 1701 Douglas Street in 2016.
For more information on 1701 Douglas Street:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?