Here is a map showing the location of 1305-1311 Broad Street:
Additional Information About 1305-1311 Broad Street
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,497,000; Land $1,017,000 Buildings $480,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,440,000; Land $877,000 Buildings $563,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,440,000; Land $829,000 Buildings $611,000
A Brief History of 1305-1311 Broad Street
This Heritage Registry building was built in 1909 by architect David C. Frame for the Victoria Creamery Company. The original building permit, issued by the City of Victoria in March 1909, authorized a “new brick building, two storey, four rooms” with an estimated construction cost of $13,000, to be used as a “store and creamery.”
By 1920, the Victoria Creamery Company had become the Northwest Creamery and operated from this building until the late 1930’s. By 1935 the Northwestern Creamery appears to have scaled down its operation in this building and had rented the second floor to the Tillicum Gymnasium.
By 1940, the Northwestern Creamery had moved and through the 1940’s the building was used by a variety of businesses, including the Bunny Dance Hall, the Golden Lunch restaurant and, surprisingly, the Victoria Rifle Range, a use that would never be approved in downtown Victoria today.
In 1948, Robinson’s Bicycle Shop moved into the building and has occupied this location ever since, operating under various names, including G. Robinson Ltd., Robinson’s Sporting Goods and the current name of Robinson’s Outdoor Store.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?