Broad Street – 1300 Block
1305-1311 Broad Street – Robinson’s Outdoor Store
Here is a map showing the location of 1305-1311 Broad Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1305-1311 Broad Street:
Additional Information About 1305-1311 Broad Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $2,718,000; Land $1,490,000 Buildings $1,228,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,833,000; Land $1,309,000 Buildings $524,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,693,000; Land $1,070,000 Buildings $623,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,497,000; Land $1,017,000 Buildings $480,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,440,000; Land $877,000 Buildings $563,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,440,000; Land $829,000 Buildings $611,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 1305-1311 Broad Street
This Heritage Registry building was built in 1909 by architect David C. Frame for the Victoria Creamery Company. The original building permit, issued by the City of Victoria in March 1909, authorized a “new brick building, two storey, four rooms” with an estimated construction cost of $13,000, to be used as a “store and creamery.”
By 1920, the Victoria Creamery Company had become the Northwest Creamery and operated from this building until the late 1930’s. By 1935 the Northwestern Creamery appears to have scaled down its operation in this building and had rented the second floor to the Tillicum Gymnasium.
By 1940, the Northwestern Creamery had moved and through the 1940’s the building was used by a variety of businesses, including the Bunny Dance Hall, the Golden Lunch restaurant and, surprisingly, the Victoria Rifle Range, a use that would never be approved in downtown Victoria today.
In 1948, Robinson’s Bicycle Shop moved into the building and has occupied this location ever since, operating under various names, including G. Robinson Ltd., Robinson’s Sporting Goods and the current name of Robinson’s Outdoor Store.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 1303-1311 Broad Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M06977 – circa 1948
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01491 – 1959
- City of Victoria Archives photo M07702 – circa 1965
Here are some other nearby buildings designed by architect David C. Frame:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.