Downtown Victoria Tour
Johnson Street – 600 Block
642 Johnson Street – Carlton Plaza Hotel
642 Johnson Street is now the Carlton Plaza Hotel. It was originally built in 1912 by architects Emanuel J. Breseman and M. Eugene Durfee for Charles Hayward, a former Mayor of Victoria, as the St. James Hotel.
In 1981, a major addition was added at the west end of the original building at the intersection of Broad Street and Johnson Street.
Here is a map showing the location of the Carlton Plaza Hotel:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Carlton Plaza Hotel:
Additional Information About 642 Johnson Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $9.560,000; Land: $3,300,000; Buildings: $6,260,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $8.700,000; Land: $3,138,000; Buildings: $5,562,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $8.445,000; Land: $2,705,000; Buildings: $5,740,000
A Brief History of 642 Johnson Street
Their other significant Victoria commission was the First Congregational Church at 1600-1602 Quadra Street. In Nanaimo, their works include the Commercial Hotel, built in 1913 at 121 Bastion Street and the Rawlinson & Glaholm Grocery, built in 1916 at 437 Fitzwilliam Street. Both of these Nanaimo projects are on the City of Nanaimo Heritage Register (note: PDF) and the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Bresemann and Durfee closed their Canadian branch offices circa 1914 and continued their practice from their Seattle office.
The original Breseman & Durfee design for this project was built for Charles Hayward, a former Mayor of Victoria. Although the Breseman & Durfee plans described the project as the Carlton Hotel, the hotel opened under the name St. James Hotel.
It has been the Carlton Plaza Hotel since 1981.
For more information see:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?