Emanuel J. Breseman (1881-1971) and M. Eugene Durfee (1886-1941) were the main partners in a Seattle based architectural firm which opened a branch office in Victoria in 1911. They opened branch offices in Nanaimo and Vancouver in 1912.
In Victoria, the firm of Breseman & Durfee is best known for two projects: the St. James Hotel (now the Carlton Plaza Hotel) at 642 Johnson Street and the First Congregational Church (now The Palladian) at 1600-1602 Quadra Street.
In Nanaimo their known extant buildings include the Commercial Hotel, 121 Bastion Street (built in 1913) and the Rawlinson-Glaholm Grocery at 437 Fitzwilliam Street (built in 1916). Both of these buildings are on the City of Nanaimo Heritage Building Registry. (note: PDF) and the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Breseman & Durfee closed their Canadian branch offices in 1914 and continued their practice from their Seattle office.
For more on Breseman & Durfee’s projects see:
- Biographical Dictionary of Architects In Canada
- Victoria Heritage Foundation – 1600-1602 Quadra Street
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – 1600-1602 Quadra Street
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – Rawlinson-Glaholm Grocery, 437 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – Commerical Hotel, 121 Bastion Street, Nanaimo
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?