Yates Street – 600 Block
648-652 Yates Street
This building at 648-652 Yates Street was built circa 1893 as a four storey hotel called the Hotel Wilson. The upper floors were removed in the 1940’s.
Here is a map showing the location of 648-652 Yates Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 648-652 Yates Street:
Additional Information About 648-652 Yates Street:
- Assessed Value (July 2020): $2,687,000; Land $2,160,000 Buildings $527,000
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $2,956,000; Land $1,804,000 Buildings $1,152,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,228,000; Land $1,587,000 Buildings $641,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,074,000; Land $1,449,000 Buildings $625,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,843,000; Land $1,378,000 Buildings $465,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,772,000; Land $1,188,000 Buildings $584,000
A Brief History of 648-652 Yates Street:
This building was originally built in 1893 as a three storey hotel. During its days as a hotel the building was known as the Hotel Wilson and the Gordon Hotel. The upper floors were removed in the 1940’s.
Since the upper floors were removed the building has been occupied by a variety of retail stores and restaurants.
Here are links to some historic photos of 648-652 Yates Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M06710 – circa 1900
- City of Victoria Archives photo M10037 – circa 1900
- BC Archives photo E-01552 – Hotel Wilson circa 1902 (photo credit: B.C. Engraving Company)
- BC Archives photo D-07130 – Gordon Hotel circa 1905
- BC Archives photo I-60812 – funeral of Premier John Oliver, 20 August 1927
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01392 – 1959
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01388 – January 1966
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.