Dominion Rocket – originally the Dominion Hotel
This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 755-765 Yates Street was originally built in 1890 as the Dominion Hotel.
It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.
It is now the Dominion Rocket apartments.
Here is a map showing the location of the Dominion Rocket, 759 Yates Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 759 Yates Street:
Additional Information About 759 Yates Street, the Dominion Rocket
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $20,597,000; Land $5,669,000 Buildings $14,928,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $16,199,000; Land $5,666,000 Buildings $10,533,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $14,793,000; Land $5,387,000 Buildings $9,406,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $13,757,000; Land $4,644,000 Buildings $9,113,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $8,500,000; Land $4,388,000 Buildings $4,112,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – formally recognized in 1995, listed in 2009.
A Brief History of 759 Yates Street
The Dominion Hotel, the Dalton Hotel and the Dominon Rocket
A hotel, the What Cheer House, was first built on this site in 1862. The first Dominion Hotel was established on this site by Stephen Jones in 1876.
In 1890 the Dominion Hotel was taken over by Stephen Jones’ son, also named Stephen Jones, who demolished the original Dominion Hotel building, a wooden structure, and replaced it with a larger brick building.
Additions were made to the Dominion Hotel in 1898, 1907 and 1913.
The Dominion Hotel was operated as a hotel until 2013. In its later years it operated under the name Dalton Hotel.
Between 2013 and 2015 the Dalton Hotel was renovated into the Dominion Rocket, a 97 unit apartment building consisting primarily of bachelor and studio apartments with 12 one bedroom apartments.
Here are links to some historic photos of the Dominion Hotel:
- BC Archives photo B-02314 – the original Dominion Hotel, circa 1880. This building was demolished in 1890 and replaced by the first phase of the current Dominion Rocket building.
- BC Archives photo E-01553 – circa 1895
- BC Archives photo G-08767 – Dominion Hotel stage coach, circa 1895
- BC Archives photo G-07018 – Dominion Hotel, 1898
- City of Victoria Archives photo M10005 – 1912
- City of Victoria Archives photo M07524 – 1919
- BC Archives photo G-06065 – Yates Street, 700 Block, showing the Dominion Hotel, 1925
- BC Archives photo I-01772 – Dominion Hotel and Dominion Service Station, 1947. Photographer: Duncan Macphail
- BC Archives photo I-01918 – Dominion Hotel entrance on Yates Street, 1948. Photographer: Duncan Macphail
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01385 – circa 1960
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.