Wharf Street – 1200 Block
1244-1252 Wharf Street
This building at 1244-1252 Wharf Street, at the intersection of Wharf Street and Yates Street, was originally built in 1882 by architect John Teague for James Yates, a leading landowner in 19th century Victoria. It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Yates Block.
Architect John Teague also designed major additions to the building in 1892 and 1896, bringing it to its present dimensions.
Here is a map showing the location of 1244-1252 Wharf Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1244-1252 Wharf Street:
Additional Information About 1244-1252 Wharf Street
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $2.504,000; Land $1,093,000; Buildings $1,411,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $2.319,000; Land $835,000; Buildings $1,484,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $2.125,000; Land $568,000; Buildings $1,557,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 1244-1252 Wharf Street
John Teague also designed a major addition to the building in 1896, bringing the building to its current dimensions.
Over its first four decades, 1244-1252 Yates Street was used an office and warehouse by the Turner, Beeton Company, a dry goods wholesaler and manufacturer.
Here are links to some historic photos of 1244-1252 Wharf Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09625 – circa 1881, the original building as Turner, Beeton Co.
- BC Archives photo F-07459 – circa 1883, original building as Turner, Beeton Co. warehouse
- BC Archives photo D-09330 – circa 1890, original building as Turner, Beeton Co. warehouse
- BC Archives photo D-09331 – circa 1898, after 1896 additions to original building
- BC Archives photo D-09332 – circa 1899. viewed from the Inner Harbour, S.S. Amelia and S.S. Olympian at Turner, Beeton Co. wharf at the rear of this building
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09624 – circa 1899, Turner, Beeton Co. staff outside main entrance
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09627 – interior, circa 1912, as Turner, Beeton Co.
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09626 – circa 1912, as Turner, Beeton Co.
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01147 – circa 1965, as McQuade’s Ship Chandlers
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09623 – circa 1972, as McQuade’s Ship Chandlers
We will be adding more to this page in the near future.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?