Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 1300 Block
1300-1306 Douglas Street – Reynolds Block

This City of Victoria Heritage Building was built in 1889 by architect John Teague for the Canadian Pacific Land & Mortgage Company.

This building has always been a commercial building with retail space on the main floor and offices on the second floor. The current business on the main floor is Mac’s Convenience Store, which has been here for over a decade.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Reynolds Block.

1300-1306 Douglas Street, originally built in 1889 by architect John Teague for the Canadian Pacific Land & Mortgage Company.

1300-1306 Douglas Street, originally built in 1889 by architect John Teague for the Canadian Pacific Land & Mortgage Company.

Here is a map showing the location of 1300-1306 Douglas Street:

Additional Information About 1300-1306 Douglas Street

A Brief History of 1300-1306 Douglas Street

This City of Victoria Heritage Building was built in 1889 by architect John Teague for the Canadian Pacific Land & Mortgage Company, which used it as a revenue generating commercial building, with retail space on the main level and offices on the second floor.

The first tenant on the main floor appears to have been a druggist, F.C. Kellogg, which occupied this store circa 1890-1891.

The first long term tenant on the main floor was also a drug store, Cochrane & Munn, which later changed its business name to John Cochrane, and operated at 1300 Douglas until 1920.

The main floor was then rented to a tobacconist, the Service Tobacco Shop, in 1921. The United Cigar Store took over Service Tobacco Shop circa 1924 and operated here until 1940, when the United Cigar Store appears to have gone into partnership with Cunningham Drugs.

Cunningham Drugs operated here until the 1970’s, when it was taken over by Shopper’s Drug Mart and this store became part of the Shopper’s Drug Mart chain.

Shopers Drug Mart moved to its current location at 1222 Douglas Street in the 1980’s. Since then this store has been a Cole’s Books and a Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) franchise.

The current occupant is Mac’s Convenience Store, which has been in this location for over a decade.

Here are some historic photographs of this building. As seen in these photos, this building originally had a conical turret on its south east corner. This turret was removed in the 1940’s, apparently to accommodate the placement of billboards on the roof.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?