Downtown Victoria Tour
Yates Street – 600 Block
634-636 Yates Street

636 Yates Street was originally built in 1877 by architect John Teague for the Deluge Fire Company, one of Victoria’s three volunteer fire companies before the creation of the Victoria Fire Department in 1886.

634-636 Yates Street

Here is a map showing the location of 634-636 Yates Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 634-636 Yates Street:

 

 

Additional Information About 634-636 Yates Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,239,000; Land $444,000 Buildings $795,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,070,000; Land $422,000 Buildings $648,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,002,000; Land $364,000 Buildings $638,000

A Brief History of 634-636 Yates Street

636 Yates Street was originally built in 1877 by architect John Teague for the Deluge Fire Company, one of Victoria’s three volunteer fire companies before the formation of the Victoria Fire Department in 1886.

At that time the fire equipment was pulled by horses and the width of the 19th century horse drawn fire engines can still be seen by the width of the main doorway of the building.

The building originally housed stables on the main floor for the horses while the second floor contained fire company offices and accommodations for the firefighters.

This building originally featured an ornate bell tower which was also used for hanging water hoses for drying. A photo, circa 1880, is available here. The bell tower was removed circa 1900.

See the following links for Historical images and additional information on the Deluge Fire Company:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?