As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements, Automobiles & Transportation , 1930-1939 , here is a 1937 advertisement for Vancouver Island Coach Lines, showing Douglas Street looking north from Yates Street, including the Reynolds Building and Victoria City Hall.
The advertisement above shows the Reynolds Building, 1300-1306 Douglas Street, on the left. The photo below shows the Reynolds Building as it now appears.
Other buildings visible in this 1937 advertisement include ScotiaBank, 702 Yates Street; 1308-1312 Douglas Street; 1420 Douglas Street; 1450 Douglas Street; Victoria City Hall; The Hudson, 1701 Douglas Street.
1420 Douglas Street, built in 1911 for Smith & Champion, a furniture store. (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc)
The Hotel Rialto, 1450 Douglas Street. Originally built at the Prince George Hotel in 1911, it became the Hotel Douglas from 1920 to 2007, when the present owners renovated it as the Hotel Rialto.
Victoria City Hall, designed by architect John Teague. The original section of the building dates from 1878. The majority of the present building was added during subsequent additons in 1881 and 1890-91.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?