Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 1400 Block
1450 Douglas Street – Hotel Rialto

The Hotel Rialto (1450 Douglas Street and 653 Pandora Avenue) was originally built in 1911 by architect L.W. Hargreaves for Lim Bang as a “hotel and stores.” It opened in 1911 as the Prince George Hotel.

It was closed in 1917 but was re-opened under the name Hotel Douglas in 1918 and operated under that name until 2007, when it closed for major renovations and re-opened under the name Hotel Rialto in 2009.

The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Hotel Douglas.

Hotel Rialto, 1450 Douglas Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of the Hotel Rialto, 1450 Douglas Street:

Hotel Rialto, 1450 Douglas Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The photo below shows the Hotel Douglas in 2006 before it was converted into the Hotel Rialto.

The Douglas Hotel, 1450 Douglas Street, in 2006 before being converted into the Hotel Rialto (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Additional Information About the Hotel Rialto, 1450 Douglas Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $8.638,000; Land $1,383,000 Buildings $7,255,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $7.643,000; Land $1,192,000 Buildings $6,451,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $6.871,000; Land $1,127,000 Buildings $5,744,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of 1450 Douglas Street

The Hotel Rialto (1450 Douglas Street and 653 Pandora Avenue) was originally built in 1911 by architect L.W. Hargreaves for Lim Bang as a “hotel and stores.” It opened in 1911 as the Prince George Hotel.

The original building permit, issued to Lim Bang by the City of Victoria in April 1911, described a “new reinforced concrete building, 5 story, 120 rooms” intended for use as a “hotel and stores” with an estimated construction cost of $100,000.

Lim Bang opened the new hotel under the name Prince George Hotel and it was operated under that name until 1917, when it closed as a result of B.C. introducing Prohibition in 1917.

Although Prohibition was not repealed until 1921, the hotel re-opened in 1918 under the name Hotel Douglas. It operated under the name Hotel Douglas – commonly known locally as “the Dougie” – until 2007.

The current owner, Danilo Danzo, purchased the Hotel Douglas in 2000. It was closed for renovations in 2007 and re-opened in 2009 as the Hotel Rialto, named for the Rialto Bridge in Venice, Italy.

The building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?