Victoria City Tour

This is the first section of our Victoria City Tour outside Downtown Victoria. It runs East along Fort Street from Cook Street to St. Charles Street

1124 Fort Street – Trebitha

1124 Fort Street was built in 1886-1887 for Dr. Thomas Jones and Susanna Jones.

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register.

Read More…

1125 Fort Street and 1127 Fort Street

1125 Fort Street (right) and 1127 Fort Street (left), built in 1907 and 1909 by builder David H. Bale for Anna Bantly.

Read More…

1125 Fort Street (right) and 1127 Fort Street (left) (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

1125 Fort Street (right) and 1127 Fort Street (left), built in 1907 and 1909 by builder David H. Bale for Anna Bantly. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

1140 Fort Street, Haggerty House

1140 Fort Street, Haggerty House

1140 Fort Street – Haggerty House

1140 Fort Street was built in 1907 by contractor John Haggerty as his family residence.

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry.

Read More…

Wentworth Villa, 1156 Fort Street.

Wentworth Villa, 1156 Fort Street.

1156 Fort Street – Wentworth Villa

1156 Fort Street was built in 1863, making it one of Victoria’s oldest buildings.

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry and the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Read More…

1161 Fort Street

1161 Fort Street was built in 1884 as a residential property. It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry.

It is now the office of a law firm.

Read More…

1162 Fort Street, built in 1906-1907 for Thomas Paterson and Emma Paterson

1162 Fort Street, built in 1906-1907 for Thomas Paterson and Emma Paterson

1162 Fort Street

1162 Fort Street was built in 1906-1907 for Thomas Paterson and Emma Paterson. It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry.

It is now used as offices.

Read More…

1190 Fort Street (left), and 1192 Fort Street (right), built in 1890 by architect John Teague.

1190 Fort Street

1190 Fort Street was built in 1890 as a rental property by builder John Pitcairn Elford.

It is now the office of a law firm.

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register.

Read More…

1192 Fort Street, built in 1890 by architect John Teague.

1192 Fort Street, built in 1890 by architect John Teague.

1192 Fort Street

1192 Fort Street built in 1890 by architect John Teague.

The building is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry. It is now offices.

Read More…

1195 Fort Street 

1195 Fort Street was built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry. It is now the office of a dental practice.

Read More…

1195 Fort Street, built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

1195 Fort Street, built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

1202 Fort Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

1202 Fort Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

1202 Fort Street 

1202 Fort Street was built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register.

It is now the office of a law firm.

Read More…

1248 Fort Street, built in 1910. It is now a veterinary clinic.

1248 Fort Street, built in 1910. It is now a veterinary clinic.

1248 Fort Street

1248 Fort Street was built in 1910. It is now a veterinary clinic.

Read More…

Moss Street intersects on the right, or south, side of Fort Street. The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria is half a block to the right of Fort Street at 1040 Moss Street.

Art Gallery Of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street

The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria is located at 1040 Moss Street, about half a block to the right from Fort Street.

Read More…

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, main entrance, 1040 Moss Street. (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, main entrance, 1040 Moss Street. (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Joan Crescent intersects on the right side of Fort Street. Turn right onto Joan Crescent if you want to see Craigdarroch Castle, one of Victoria’s leading landmarks and historic buildings.

Craigdarroch Castle – 1050 Joan Crescent

Craigdarroch Castle, 1050 Joan Crescent, is one of Victoria landmarks. It was built by architect Warren Heywood Williams for Robert Dunsmuir and Joan Dunsmuir, for whom Joan Crescent is named.

It is now a museum run by the Craigdarroch Historical Society. If you turn right from Fort Street onto Joan Crescent it is one block from Fort Street.

Read More…

Craigdarroch Castle, viewed from the south west.

Craigdarroch Castle, 1150 Joan Crescent, viewed from the south west.

1420 Fort Street, built in 1892.

1420 Fort Street, built in 1892.

1420 Fort Street

1420 Fort Street was built in 1892. It is now rental apartments.

It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Registry.

Read More…

Argos, 1480 Stadacona Avenue, built by designer/builder David Bale

Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue, built by designer/builder David H. Bale

1480 Fort Street / 1402 Stadacona Avenue

Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue, built in 1907 by designer/builder David H. Bale, who used it as his home and office.

Read More…

To continue our Victoria City Tour, turn right from Fort Street onto St. Charles Street.

1501 Fort Street

1501 Fort Street, built in 1885 for David Higgins,

It is now a B&B called the Amethyst Inn.

Read More…

1501 Fort Street, built in 1885 for David Higgins, who owned the Daily Colonist newspaper.

1501 Fort Street, built in 1885 for David Higgins, who owned the Daily Colonist newspaper.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?