Victoria City Tour
Fort Street – 1500 Block
1501 Fort Street – Regent’s Park

1501 Fort Street was built in 1885 by architect Henry Hudson Leslie and builder John Munro for David W. Higgins, who was at that time the owner of the Daily Colonist newspaper.

It is listed on Victoria Heritage Register and is currently being used as a

1501 Fort Street, built in 1885 for David Higgins, who owned the Daily Colonist newspaper.

1501 Fort Street, built in 1885 for David Higgins, who owned the Daily Colonist newspaper.

Here is a map showing the location of 1501 Fort Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 1501 Fort Street:

Additional Information About 1501 Fort Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $3,795,000; Land $1,290,000; Buildings $2,505,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $3,456,000; Land $1,438,000; Buildings $2,018,000
  • Victoria Heritage Foundation

A Brief History of 1501 Fort Street

1501 Fort Street was built in 1885 by architect Henry Hudson Leslie and builder John Munro for David W. Higgins, who was at that time the owner of the Daily Colonist newspaper. The original building cost in 1885 was $8,000.00, making it one of most expensive Victoria homes of the period.

By 1963 it had been allowed to deteriorate to a very poor condition. In 1963 it was was purchased by Carl Pierce Rudolph (1915-1997), who restored it and received heritage restoration awards – from Heritage Canada in 1975 and the Victoria Hallmark Society in 1984 – for his work. Carl Rudolph operated is as the Higgins House museum until his death in 1997.

It is listed on Victoria Heritage Register and is currently being used as a B&B called the Amethyst Inn.

The Victoria Heritage Foundation website has a good history of 1501 Fort Street.

Here are links to some historic photographs of 1501 Fort Street:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?