Victoria City Tour
1402 Stadacona Avenue (at Fort Street)
1402 Stadacona Avenue, at the corner of Stadacona Avenue and Fort Street, was built in 1907 by designer/builder David Herbert Bale (1867-1945). David Bale designed houses and operated a construction company which built houses that Bale designed.
Here is a map showing the location of Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue:
Here is a Google Street View image of Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue:
Additional Information About Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue & 1480 Fort Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $1,333,800; Land $1,212,000. Buildings $121,800
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,098,000; Land $767,000. Buildings $331,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $925,000; Land $674,000. Buildings $251,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,005,000; Land $715,000. Buildings $920,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $904,000; Land $584,000. Buildings $320,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $821,000; Land $469,000. Buildings $352,000
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
- Hallmark Society, photos of restoration 1999-2002
A Brief History of Argos, 1402 Stadacona Avenue
David Bale built this house as his own residence and as a show home for his designs. Some of the original 1907 stained glass windows are still in place. They are believed to have been made by Henry Fox of the Victoria Glass Works.
David Bale lived here until his death in 1945.
In 1946 the house became the Stadacona Guest House. Between 1954-1970 it was the Stadacona Rest Home, a facility for elderly women.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 1402 Stadacona Avenue:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05283 – 1959
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05582 – 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05584 – 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05286 – circa 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05287 – circa 1965
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05285 – circa 1965
Here are some photographs showing architectural details of 1402 Stadacona Avenue:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.