Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 1200 Block
This commercial building at 1223 – 1227 – 1233 Government Street is currently home to Roots (1227 Government Street) and Sasquatch Trading (1233 Government Street).
Here is a map showing the location of 1223-1233 Government Street:
Additional Information About 1223-1233 Government Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,714,000; Land $2,053,000; Buildings $2,661,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,209,000; Land $1,952,000; Buildings $2,257,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,046,000; Land $1,682,000; Buildings $2,364,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,047,000; Land $1,590,000; Buildings $2,457,000
A Brief History of 1223-1227-1233 Government Street
The construction date of this single storey commercial building is somewhat uncertain. Some records say it was built in 1901 but other sources suggest it dates from the late 19th century, possibly as early as the 1880’s. We believe the latter is more accurate.
If that is the case, then during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this building contained the Maryland Cafe, where Alex Pantages worked as a waiter before embarking on his career in theater ownership.
Here are links to some historic photos of this building:
- BC Archives photo D-05587 – Horse Shoe Saloon, 1223 Government Street, circa 1900.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?