As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements, Automobiles & Transportation, 1920-1929, here is a 1926 advertisement for Battery Recharging, from the Weiler Auto Supply House, 1000-1012 Douglas Street at Broughton Street.
This building in which the Weiler Auto Supply House was located is still standing. In 1920, Otto Weiler retained architect Percy Fox to design this building at 1000-1012 Douglas Street / 680-690 Broughton Street as a location for the Weiler Auto Supply House and as office and commercial space for tenants.
Given the building’s current use as retail and office space, it is difficult to reconcile the description in the advertisement of the Weiler Auto Supply House being the “Best Equipped Shop In Town” for battery recharging and servicing. But Otto Weiler specifically intended this building to be a location for his Weiler Auto Supply House.
The Weiler family also built two other significant buildings facing Broughton Street:
921 Government Street, built in 1899 as the Weiler Brothers department store
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?