Downtown Victoria Tour
Fisgard Street – 600 Block
The 600 block of Fisgard Street runs between Government Street on the west and Douglas Street on the east. It is a major section of Victoria’s Chinatown and contains several significant historic buildings.
Here is a map showing the location of the 600 block of Fisgard Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the 600 block of Fisgard Street:
Here are some of the historically significant buildings in the 600 block of Fisgard Street:
612 Fisgard Street and 614 Fisgard Street
The Shon Yee Benevolent Association at 612 Fisgard Street and the Lee’s Benevolent Association at 614 Fisgard Street were both built in 1910 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for the Lee’s Benevolent Association, which originally occupied both buildings.
The Lee’s Benevolent Association sold 612 Fisgard Street in 1920 and the Shon Yee Benevolent Association purchased it is 1935.
The Shon Yee Benevolent Association still owns 612 Fisgard Street and the Lee’s Benevolent Association still owns 614 Fisgard Street.
622-626 Fisgard Street – Gee Tuck Tong Building
The Gee Tuck Tong Building at 622-626 Fisgard Street was built in 1903 for two benevolent societies, the Gee Tuck Tong and the Yee Fung Toy Tong.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Gee Tuck Tong Benevolent Association Building.
624 1/2 Fisgard Street – Kong Sin Wing Rooming House
624 1/2 Fisgard Street was built in 1913 as a tenement, or rooming house, for Kong Sin Wing by architects Ralph Berrill and Percy Fox.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Kong Sin Wing Rooming House.
625 Fisgard Street – originally the Victoria Police Headquarters
Built in 1914 by architect John Charles Malcolm Keith as the Victoria Police headquarters and jail.
It served as the Victoria Police headquarters building until 1996, when the Victoria Police department moved into its current building at Quadra Street and Caledonia Street.
The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the City of Victoria Police Station.
636 Fisgard Street – Chinese Public School
The Chinese Public School at 636 Fisgard Street was built in 1909 by architect David C. Frame for the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Chinese Consolidated benevolent Association and Chinese Public School.
It still operates as a school.
650 Fisgard Street – Victoria Masonic Temple
The Victoria Masonic Temple at 650 Fisgard Street was originally built in 1878 for the two Masonic Lodges in Victoria at the time (Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1 and Vancouver & Quadra Lodge, No.2) by architect John Teague, a member of Victoria’s oldest Masonic Lodge, Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1. A major addition was built on the west end of the building in 1909.
The Victoria Masonic Temple is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]