Downtown Victoria Tour
Fisgard Street – 600 Block
650 Fisgard Street – Victoria Masonic Temple

The Victoria Masonic Temple at 650 Fisgard Street was originally built in 1878 for the two Masonic Lodges in Victoria at the time (Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1 and Vancouver & Quadra Lodge, No.2) by architect John Teague, a member of Victoria’s oldest Masonic Lodge, Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1.

The Victoria Masonic Temple was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 and listed in 2005.

Victoria Masonic Temple, 650 Fisgard Street, built in 1878 with additions in 1909 (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is map showing the location of the Victoria Masonic Temple, 650 Fisgard Street:

In 1909 a major addition was undertaken to the west end the building. The building permit for these additions, issued by the City of Victoria in May 1909, describes a “three storey, brick and stone building, 6 rooms” with an estimated construction cost of $15,000. Work on the addition was started in July 1909 by contractors Dinsdale & Malcolm and completed in December 1909.

The new additions were dedicated in a Masonic ceremony on 14 December 1909, attended by over 400 Freemasons.

The photo below shows a contemporary architectural drawing of the 1909 additions to the Victoria Masonic Temple, as seen from Fisgard Street:

1909 architect's drawing of the Masonic Temple showing the 1909 additions and alterations (photo from Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

The photos below give an indication of the dimensions of the original 1878 building and the 1909 additions.

The photo below shows the original 1878 section of the Victoria Masonic Temple designed in 1878 by architect John Teague, a former Mayor of Victoria and a member of Victoria’s oldest Masonic Lodge, Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1.

The original 1878 section of the Victoria Masonic Temple (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

The photo below shows the west section of the Victoria Masonic Temple, built in 1909.

We are not sure of which architect designed this section of the building in 1909. We are currently researching that question.

The contractors who built this section in 1909, at an estimated cost of $15,000, were Dinsdale & Malcolm.

This section of the building opened in December 1909.

The 1909 addition to the west side of the original 1878 Victoria Masonic Temple. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Additional Information About the Victoria Masonic Temple, 650 Fisgard Street

Here are links to some historic photos of the Victoria Masonic Temple:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?