Downtown Victoria Tour
Pandora Avenue – 500 Block
512-514 Pandora Avenue
This building at 512-514 Pandora Avenue is now part of the adjacent Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub, 506 Pandora Avenue.
It was originally built in 1887 for the King Tye Company, one of 19th century Victoria’s largest Chinese owned import-export companies, which used it as an office and warehouse, along with running the King Tye Opium Factory in the rear of the building.
Here is a map showing the location of 512-514 Pandora Avenue:
Here is a Google Street View image of 512-514 Pandora Avenue:
Additional Information About 512-514 Pandora Avenue
This building is legally consolidated with the Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub complex at 506 Pandora Avenue. The tax assessed value of the entire Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub holdings, which also includes 1615 Store Street, is:
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $5,563,000; Land $2,382,000 Buildings $3,181,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,685,000; Land $2,250,000 Buildings $2,435,000
A Brief History of 512-514 Pandora Avenue
This building was originally built in 1887 for the King Tye Company, one of 19th century Victoria’s largest Chinese owned import-export companies. In the rear or the building was the King Tye Opium Factory.
In 1901 the building was sold for $4000 to Chu Lai. In 1913 architect Percy Fox was retained to redesign the street facade.
In 1927, owners Chu Kum Toa and Chu Sing Hor sold the building to John A. Scott, William Peden and John Peden, who owned the Scott & Peden feed company, which also owned the adjacent building that is now Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub at 506 Pandora Avenue.
Scott & Peden and its successor company, Buckerfields, owned this building until 1973, when it was sold to the firm of James Richardson & Sons for $200,000.
Since 1987, this building has been part of Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?