The E.G. Prior building at 1401 Government Street and 606-614 Johnson Street was built in 1888 by architect Leonard Trimen Buttress for Edward G. Prior, who used it for his E.G. Prior & Company hardware store.

The building is currently divided into one commercial strata unit on the main floor with 18 residential strata units on the upper floors.

The Prior Building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2003.

The E.G. Prior Building, 1401 Government Street & 606-614 Johnson Street, built in 1888 for the E.G. Prior & Co. hardware store.

The E.G. Prior Building, 1401 Government Street & 606-614 Johnson Street, built in 1888 for the E.G. Prior & Co. hardware store.

Additional Information About 1401 Government Street & 606-614 Johnson Street

This building is currently divided into strata units, 1 commercial strata and 18 residential strata (condominium) units: 7 strata apartments on the each of the second and third floors with four strata apartments on the fourth floor

  • Commercial strata unit 100-610 Johnson Street – Assessed value (July 2015): $2,922,000
  • Commercial strata unit 100-610 Johnson Street – Assessed value (July 2014): $2,922,000
  • Residential Strata units on the second and third floors –  Assessed value (July 2015) ranging from $272,900 to $445,000
  • Residential Strata units on the second and third floors –  Assessed value (July 2014) ranging from $264,500 to $431,000
  • Residential Strata units on the fourth floor (4 units) –  Assessed value (July 2015) ranging from $379,400 to $435,000
  • Residential Strata units on the fourth floor (4 units) –  Assessed value (July 2014) ranging from $367,700 to $422,100
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 2003

A Brief History of the E.G. Prior Building

The E.G. Prior building at 1401 Government Street and 606-614 Johnson Street was built in 1888 by architect Leonard Trimen Buttress for Edward G. Prior, who used it for his E.G. Prior & Company hardware store.

Edward Gawlor Prior (1853-1920) was prominent in B.C. business and politics. Apart from his E.G. Prior & Co. hardware business, he served in the B.C. Legislature in 1886-88 and as Victoria’s Member of Parliament between 1888 and 1902. In March 1902 he returned to provincial politics, serving as Minister of Mines and, briefly, as Premier of B.C. between November 1902 and March 1903. He was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of B.C. in 1919 and served until his death 1920.

In 1928, the E.G. Prior & Co. was purchased by a leading competitor, McLennan, McFeely & Co., commonly known at the time as “Mac & Mac”, which had its Victoria store directly across the street in 1400-1480 Government Street, where the MEC is located now.

Here are links to some historic photographs of this building:

This building has been converted to a mixed use commercial/residential strata, with one commercial strata unit on the main floor and 18 residential strata (condominium) units on the upper floors.

The Prior Building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?