Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 1400 Block

This building at 1450 Government Street is now  a mixed use commercial/residential strata with the Mountain Equipment Co-op on the main floor and residential condominium units on the upper floors.

It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

It was originally two separate buildings. The southern section was built in 1892 by architect Thomas Hooper as the Wilson-Dalby Block, which rented it to the Hotel Victoria. The northern section was built in 1888 for Amor De Cosmos (1825-1897) and was originally known as the De Cosmos Block.

 

Here is a map showing the location of 1450 Government Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 1450 Government Street:

 

 

Additional Information About 1450 Government Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $7,306,000 (commercial strata); Land $5,419,000; Buildings $1,887,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $6,959,000 (commercial strata); Land $5,051,000; Buildings $1,908,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $6,491,000 (commercial strata);
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $6,491,000 (commercial strata);
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 1995

A Brief History of 1450 Government Street

This building at 1450 Government Street is now  a mixed use commercial/residential strata with the Mountain Equipment Co-op on the main floor and residential condominium units on the upper floors.

It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

It was originally two separate buildings. The southern section was built in 1892 by architect Thomas Hooper as the Wilson-Dalby Block, which rented it to the Hotel Victoria. The northern section was built in 1888 for Amor De Cosmos (1825-1897) and was originally known as the De Cosmos Block.

By the 1920’s it was used as a department store called McLennan & McFeely, known locally as Mac & Mac.

1450 Government Street, circa 1930, from a 1930's catalog photo for Mac & Mac Hardware

1450 Government Street, circa 1930, from a 1930’s catalog photo for Mac & Mac Hardware

In 1928, McLennan & McFeely purchased a leading competitor, E.G. Prior & Co., which was located directly across the street at 1401 Government Street. The new company became known as McLennan, McFeely & Prior.

In the 1960’s it became BC Provincial Government offices and remained government office space until 2000.

In 2005 this building was renovated into its current configuration as a mixed use commercial/residential strata building with commercial space on the main floor and residential space on the upper floors..

1400-1480 Government Street during 2005 renovations

1450 Government Street during 2005 strata conversion/renovations (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Here are some links to more historic photos of this building:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?