Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 1300 Block
1301 Government Street / 604-606 Yates Street
This building at 1301 Government Street and 604-606 Yates Street is now a Starbucks.
It was built in 1946 by architects David C. Frame and Douglas James for the Imperial Bank of Canada, which used it as its downtown Victoria main branch, replacing an earlier Imperial Bank of Canada building which had stood on this site since the 1890’s.
Here is a map showing the location of 1301 Government Street:
Additional Information About 1301 Government Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,167,000; Land $1,144,000; Buildings $3,023,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,668,000; Land $1,088,000; Buildings $2,580,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,440,000; Land $938,000; Buildings $2,602,000
A Brief History of 1301 Government Street
This building at 1301 Government Street and 604-606 Yates Street was built in 1946 by architects David C. Frame and Douglas James for the Imperial Bank of Canada, which used it as its downtown Victoria main branch.
The Imperial Bank of Canada had been operating at this site since the late 19th century. Here are some historic photos of its buildings at this site:
- BC Archives photo D-09568 – Imperial Bank of Canada, circa 1890’s
- Imperial Bank of Canada building, circa 1935
- BC Archives photo H-03014 – circa 1935, seen from Government Street
- BC Archives photo I-01664 – current building under construction, circa 1946, photographer Duncan Macphail.
- BC Archives photo I-01850 – current building circa 1947, photographer Duncan Macphail.
- BC Archives photo I-02185 – current building, circa 1949, photographer Duncan Macphail.
Following the merger of the Imperial Bank of Canada and the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1961 to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (C.I.B.C.), this building became a C.I.B.C. branch until the 1980’s, when it was closed as Canadian banks consolidated branches.
Since the 1980’s this building has contained offices on the upper floors and various retail stores on the main level, including a book store and a shoe store.
The retail space on the main level is currently occupied by a Starbucks Coffee outlet.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?