As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements, Automobiles & Transportation, here is a 1913 advertisement from the Hinton Electric Company, 911 Government Street, for Waverley Electric cars.
This advertisement is interesting for, among other things, the seat placement inside the car. This Waverley Electric car had four individual seats, three across the rear of the passenger compartment and one in the front of the passenger compartment, facing backwards toward the 3 rear seats. The driver was seated in the left rear seat, a very unusual and, in our view, very unsafe arrangement.
In 1913 the Hinton Electric Company was located at 911 Government Street, which is still a landmark Heritage Building in downtown Victoria. 911 Government Street was designed and built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins. It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Here are some websites with more information on Waverley Electric cars:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?