Historic Victoria Advertisements
Buildings

As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements featuring Historic Buildings, here is a 1908 advertisement for the Dominion Hotel, 759 Yates Street.

1908 advertisement for the Dominion Hotel, The illustration makes the building appear far deeper, adding several banks of windows which aren't actually on the building. (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

1908 advertisement for the Dominion Hotel, The illustration makes the building appear far deeper, adding several banks of windows which aren’t actually on the building. (Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours collection)

The former Dominion Hotel is now the Dalton Rocket apartments at 759 Yates Street. Here is how it appears today.

The Dominion Rocket, 759 Yates Street. Originally built in 1890 as the Dominion Hotel

The Dominion Rocket, 759 Yates Street. Originally built in 1890 as the Dominion Hotel

The owner of the Dominion Hotel in 1908 was Stephen Jones (1859-1933), who also owned what was then the Windsor Hotel at 901-905 Government Street. In 1913 Stephen Jones built the commercial building that still stands at 602 Courtney Street, which was an addition to his existing building at 901-905 Government Street.

Stephen Jones is buried in Ross Bay Cemetery.

600-610 Courtney Street was built in 1913 as an addition to the Windsor Hotel at 901-905 Government Street

600-610 Courtney Street was built in 1913 as an addition to the Windsor Hotel at 901-905 Government Street

901-905 Government Street. Built in 1858 for George Richardson as the first brick hotel in Victoria.

901-905 Government Street. Built in 1858 for George Richardson as the first brick hotel in Victoria.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?