Notable Architects and Builders In Victoria History
Samuel Maclure (1860-1929) is one of the most influential architects in Victoria’s history. Here is a partial listing of his projects.
Here are the Samuel Maclure projects we have listed on this site so far, listed in chronological order of construction. We will be adding more over time.
- 525 Fort Street, the Temple Building, built in 1897 for Robert Ward & Company. Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- 913 Burdett Avenue, built in 1904 for Cecil Roberts
- 1598 Rockland Avenue, built in 1904 for Alexis Martin
- 1770 Rockland Avenue, built in 1905 for Biggerstaff Wilson
- 1041 St. Charles Street, built in 1907 for Charles Todd
- 1005 St. Charles Street, built in 1910-11 for Simon & Caroline Leiser
- 1595 Rockland Avenue, built in 1910 for Herbert Bowen
- 906 Pemberton Road, built in 1910-1911 for Edward and Lola Grierson
- 1025 Moss Street, built in 1912-13 for George & Josephine Richardson
- Bowker Gates, Willows Park, Oak Bay, built in 1913, Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- Austrian Pines, 1900 block Beach Drive, planted in 1913 as part of a Samuel Maclure landscape design
- 468 Beach Drive, built in 1920 for Ernest Halsall
- 1538 Beach Drive, built in 1922 for Ethel Helmcken. Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- 644 Beach Drive, built in 1927 for Gardiner Boyd and Grace Boyd
Temple Building, 525 Fort Street
The Temple Building was designed by Samuel Maclure in 1897 for Robert Ward & Company. It is considered Samuel Maclure’s most important surviving commercial building design.
The Temple Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
913 Burdett Avenue – Cecil Roberts House
913 Burdett Avenue was designed and built by Samuel Maclure in 1904 for Cecil Roberts.
It is listed on the Victoria Heritage Register and the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Designed and built by Samuel Maclure in 1905 for Richard Biggerstaff Wilson.
Designed and built in 1910-1911 by architect Samuel Maclure for Simon and Caroline Leiser.
906 Pemberton Road was built in 1910-1911 by architect Samuel Maclure for Edward and Lola Grierson. Alfred Cornelius Flumerfelt moved here when he married Lola Grierson in 1926.
The property is now divided into six condominiums.
1025 Moss Street was designed and built by Samuel Maclure in 1912-13 for George & Josephine Richardson.
Designed and built in 1922 by architect Samuel Maclure for Ethel Helmcken, formerly of 1015 Moss Street.
For more information about Samuel Maclure we recommend the following books:
The Buildings of Samuel Maclure: In Search of Appropriate Form by Martin Segger
This is an excellent history of Samuel Maclure and his work but unfortunately it is out of print. If you can find a second hand copy it is well worth buying.
Building The West: Early Architects of British Columbia, edited by Donald Luxton
This is an excellent book on the late 19th and early 20th century architects of British Columbia.
It has a lot of worthwhile information on Samuel Maclure and other architects included on this website.
Highly recommended for anyone interested in architecture and architectural history.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]