Victoria City Tour
St. Charles Street
942-944 St. Charles Street
942-944 St. Charles Street was designed in 1909 by architect Samuel Maclure for William and Mary Todd. It was built in 1909-10.
William and Mary Todd named the house Wilmar, a contraction using the first three letters of each of their first names. This house was Heritage Designated in 2001.
Here is a map showing the location of 943-944 St. Charles Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 942-944 St. Charles Street:
Additional Information About 942-944 St. Charles Street
A Brief History of 942-944 St. Charles Street
William Charles Todd (1885-1942) was the son of Charles Fox Todd and Louisa Todd, who lived across the street at Illahie, 1041 St. Charles Street. Mary Chatwin Todd (nee Butchart, 1886-1972) was the second daughter of Robert and Jennie Butchart of Butchart Gardens fame.
William Todd and Mary Butchart were married in 1910 on the grounds of William Todd’s parents’ home, across the street at 1041 St. Charles Street. Following their engagement, William Todd had retained Samuel Maclure in 1909 to design Wilmar. William and Mary Todd moved into the house after their marriage.
Mary Todd lived here until 1951, when she moved to a suite in her sister’s house at 906 St. Charles Street, where she died in 1972.
After Mary Todd moved out in 1951, the house was converted to a triplex in 1952.
This house was Heritage Designated in 2001. It was converted into condominiums with the addition of several townhouses on the grounds in 2004.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?